The Funk Firm Achromat is the natural progression from the original acrylic interface invented by Arthur Khoubesserian back in 1979. Refining the theory he subsequently launched Achromat in 2005. Ongoing refinements in composition and application mean that Achromat is now more universal and better than ever
Theory: The stylus accelerates at up to 20,000g. This means your groove wall is not so much caressed but more akin to being pummelled by a road hammer creating travelling shock waves.
When there is a material change (the record sitting on a felt mat, say, these waves are reflected and energy reflected from the bottom of the record (a mere 2mm thick) is sensed by the stylus and heard as colouration.
Can Funk Firm prevent his reflection?
Achromat is the ideal material to absorb energy from the record. There is no better. But it is only 3-5mm thick and this is where the science kicks in. Millions of tiny bubbles within create complex pathways and that’s where the energy gets lost as heat. In this way, the Achromat acts like a considerably thicker mat. Its job is complete.
No other mat is like it and all it takes is a simple A-B comparison to demonstrate the differences against other supports. Longer-term listening allows subtle nuances as well as greater bass intelligibility to be appreciated.
In 2009 Achromat came top in a mat comparison in HiFi Choice and then went on to win the Gold Award for Accessory against all comers. And of course, there are testimonials from happy customers. It has become the mat of choice for LP12 owners and also Technics SL1200 turntables. No wonder Achromat is the World’s top-selling mat.
The Funk Firm Achromat Key Features:
- Made of acrylic containing thousands of randomly sized bubbles that absorb energy and turn it into heat
- Significantly reduces distortion by attenuating the back reflection from the platter to the stylus
- Helps to damp the ringing of metal and glass platters as it is designed to be stuck to the platter
- Results in a more 3D soundstage and better delineation between notes.
- Anti-static, unlike the felt mats that come with turntables
- Available in 3mm and 5mm sizes depending on ability to adjust VTA on the turntable
- A special version is available for the Technics 1200 Mk series with cutaway for the lip on the platter